Permanent position, Full-Time, United Kingdom
The Economics & Finance team is looking for a committed and ambitious economist specialist to help build the business and deliver our programme of work.
IMC Worldwide is a leading consultancy in International Development. We support low- and middle-income countries in economic, political, social and environmental development. We help people around the world live more independent, healthy, prosperous and safe lives.
We work in areas such as infrastructure economics, infrastructure financing, climate change and disaster resilience across the globe. Our wide range of economics and finance activities includes:
- appraisal and assessment of infrastructure schemes, climate and resilience assessments
- development of infrastructure strategies and action plans
- development and delivery of public private partnership projects
- completion of economic and financial appraisals
- project and programme evaluations.
The candidate will have experience in economics in an international development context, gained either through an IFI, NGO, consulting company (including IMC), or think tank is desirable. You will have experience in the economic appraisal of infrastructure and climate change investments. You will be an economics graduate, with a master’s degree in a relevant subject, and a proven ability to take up new skills and knowledge relevant to economics and climate vulnerability assessments is essential.
IMC are at the forefront of methodological development in a number of emergent fields including infrastructure development, PPP solutions, climate assessments and economic analyis. The preferred candidate will also be encouraged to support the team in contributing to IMC’s thought leadership in these areas and to grow E&F methodological insights and skills, so they can bring to bear on IMCs role and reputation.
- Lead and support the team’s work in economic analysis, development and green growth-related projects, delivering complex appraisals and strategic infrastructure plans for projects across all sectors, to a high standard and in accordance with international best practice
- Deliver specific allocated technical inputs individually or as part of inter-disciplinary teams on a wide range of assignments as required (these may be home-based or overseas)
- Undertake specific allocated project management, including financial and technical reporting, to ensure that projects and programmes are delivered to the high standards expected by IMC and our clients, including some complex / large projects
- Contribute to the preparation of expressions of interest and proposals to a high standard and tight deadlines, including inputting on specific work on technical sections and with the team to support the negotiation, proposal budgets, and consultant fee rates with partner firms and consultants, and in preparing financial proposals
- Contribute to the compilation and completion of reports through technical review and editing
- As appropriate, produce think pieces and take speaking engagements at relevant conferences and workshops to widen recognition of own work and IMC’s capability
- Work with the team to support the day-to-day marketing, business development and project implementation operations and support the financial management of projects, including controlling budgets, managing expenditure, invoicing and payments
- Communicate with and develop relationships with partner firms, senior international specialists, and development partner representatives, and support documenting our technical consultant pool of expertise
- Contribute to the team’s knowledge management, communications work and maintenance of project data storage and management
- Provide support to the E&F team and across the company as needed
- Meet the quality standards of the company and of the development partners and our Clients
- Meet the high ethical standards of the company as directed by the IMC policies related, but not limited to: Business Ethics, Equal opportunities, Anti-Harassment & Bullying, Safeguarding, Anti-Slavery and Human trafficking and Data Protection.
Read the full job description for main responsibilities and more details on this role
How to apply
Please submit your CV and covering letter to email@example.com explaining clearly why you are interested in this role and working for IMC, the skills and experiences you can bring to it, and how your experience meets the person specification.
Your covering letter should also include your salary expectations.
Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis, so it is recommended you apply as soon as possible